[Preston] Re: Goodbye cruel GUI

Matthew Newton M.C.Newton at lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 10 12:13:27 BST 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:12:20PM +0100, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
> VTs - is there any way I can get the VTs to log on automatically for me
> - I don't want to type in my password 7 times  on bootup.  I just can't
> wait to see the matrix screensaver on them :-).  I'll be using screen a
> lot, but do want a decent number of VTs available (I use 5 virtual
> desktops in GNOME currently).

You could probably hack around with /etc/inittab to get all VTs to drop
directly to a prompt, but I wouldn't recommend it (for security, if
nothing else). You can easily get screen to start up with n screens
running, and certain programs in each screen, though, if you like. I
think you'll need to modify your .screenrc file. (Screen is very
powerful, albeit a little esoteric at times.)

> Mail - mutt.  That's what started the whole thing off, well ViM did --
> and mutt is like the ViM of mail clients (all keyboardy) so I'm gonna
> learn it over summer.  I've also found some PIM/address book stuff too.
> No calenders as of yet, though.

Yay, mutt and vim; I use them all the time. Usually in screen. Well
worth learning.

> Web - ``links2 -g''.  Can it do frames though?

Does tables fine (unlike lynx), should do frames, too, IIRC.

> Chat - centericq is nice but I would prefer something with a more
> minimal interface.  Looks like the only way to go is IRC (clients; they
> tend to be minimal interface-wise) to Jabber and MSN gateways.  (I have
> a Jabber to MSN, AOL and ICQ gateway on my server so may search for
> console jabber clients).

I use irssi for IRC. For Jabber try imcom (which behaves a bit like an
IRC client); I use that when I'm not in X.

--
Matthew