[Preston] Re: Goodbye cruel GUI

Iain Phillips I.W.Phillips at lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 10 13:20:48 BST 2005

Matthew Newton wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:12:20PM +0100, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
>
>>VTs - is there any way I can get the VTs to log on automatically for me
>>- I don't want to type in my password 7 times  on bootup.  I just can't
>>wait to see the matrix screensaver on them :-).  I'll be using screen a
>>lot, but do want a decent number of VTs available (I use 5 virtual
>>desktops in GNOME currently).

You may find the openvt command (at least on debian) is your friend, but
you'll have to hack around a bit to make it work (hint sudo "openvt -u
could be useful").  Alternatively use the ION windowmanager.  You can
have full screen windows and flick between them with keypresses, and
also have more control over fonts etc.

Iain