[Preston] Re: topics for meetings

Guy Heatley guy.heatley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 15:13:17 BST 2006

Yes, I appreciate your point, but one of the goals of the group is to
help new users get to grips with stuff they have never done before. We
are a *user* group rather than a developer group so please don't feel
intimidated by subjects that you may not currently understand.

I for one, always react against snobbishness, elitism or geekyness
that aims to exclude the un-initiated.

Anyone giving a PLUG presentation ought to be aware that there may be
a person in their audience who only heard the word "Linux" the week
before and I hope no-one would sneer at a new user for asking a newbie
type question.

Obviously, computer science is a technical subject and there are
concepts that require a lot of getting your head round. I often feel
the best way to approach this learning curve is just to pick a spot
and start digging e.g. with the FUSE example, you may not have
understood the minute details of userspace filesystems, but you may
have learned how to install a new piece of software on your Linux
machine, as a "by-product" of your efforts.

In any case, those that give the presentations usually have to deal with:-
a) their arguments being  held up to intense scrutiny
b) being criticised, asked awkward questions, having flawed logic
exposed (most commonly by VAX John ;-)
c) satisfying demands for on-the-spot reverse engineering of perl code

all in the name of fun.
It all usually turns into a pitched argument / flame war. Then
everyone shakes hands and goes for a beer to show there's no ill
feeling.

I suppose there was that time when all the Emacs users were lying in
wait for the Vim lot, with knuckledusters... (I'm joking :-)

So don't be shy, come on down.

Cheers!
--
Guy