[Preston] Samba Server

Tim Igoe tim at igoe.me.uk
Fri Aug 25 23:14:45 BST 2006

Roger Longworth wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Haven't been to a meeting for about 12 months so losing touch a bit. Fairly
> new to Linux so been messing with Ubuntu and am quite impressed

I half made it to one ages back, been too busy since, so i wouldn't worry :)
> Tried Ubuntu Server last week and popped Samba on it. Got a Samba Domain up
> and running so feeling quite chuffed

Ubuntu is fantastic for a beginners distro :)
> Now for the questions:
> If I set up the Ubuntu Server with Samba on and give it the same domain name
> as my Windows 2003 servers domain, will it integrate with them or am I
> likely to screw up either the win2003 domain or the Samba domain?

You can easily join the Linux box to the Windows domain, as a
'standalone server' (see the Samba docs on how to do this). Samba as
yet, can't be a secondary (replicated) domain controller. I believe that
is the aim for Samba 4,, not sure when that is due for completion however.
> Will I need to tell the win2003 domain controllers about the samba box?

Joining it to the domain should do this for you
> Will I need to tell the samba box about the win2003 domain?

Again, joining should do this - you should also once joined by able to
use 'winbind' or 'ldap' to authenticate Windows users on your Linux box
- great for a single login system.

--
Tim Igoe
tim at igoe.me.uk
http://tim.igoe.me.uk - Personal Site
http://tv.igoe.me.uk - UK TV Guide
http://f1forums.igoe.me.uk - *New* F1 Forums

"Computers are like Air-con, open windows and they stop working!"