[Preston] Tuesday meeting

Guy Heatley guy.heatley at gmail.com
Tue May 2 01:35:47 BST 2006

Hello,
As Phil mentioned here earlier, the topic on Tuesday will be
netfilter, IPtables and associated tools.
It suddenly dawned on me that perhaps many people might not know what
these terms actually meant!

Basically we are talking about firewalls that run on Linux machines
and how to configure one to make your Linux machine secure whilst
connected to the Internet.

Firewalling is a complex topic. I'll be looking at the subject from a
small variety of common scenarios and how to use Linux based firewalls
in these situations. With the help of some handy tools (Shorewall,
guarddog and others) configuration can be made much easier.

Hope to see you there!
--
Guy

Stand up for freedom: Switch to GNU/Linux.
'Microsoft warned today that the era of ''open computing,''
the free exchange of digital information that has defined the
personal computer industry, is ending.'
New York Times, July 25, 2002