[Preston] Linux and Wireless

Ian Farrar ianfarrar at ntlworld.com
Mon May 8 21:01:14 BST 2006

Hi

Is there anyone who could possibly help with a Wireless issue.

I'm very new to Linux and set up Ubuntu 5.10 on my Laptop (dual-booting
with WinXP).  The problem is I can't access the Internet.

My setup is as follows:

Connect via NTL (cable) through a
Lynksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (Model WRT54G);
then to a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (Model WPC54G) PC Card.

I also have the same setup on my desktop PC but using a Netgear Wireless
USB Adapter (Model MA111) a USB connection.

If I connect the laptop / Desktop PC direct to the Router I have a
connection to the internet.  But not with the Wireless system.

I've been on the Lynksys site, but there is nothing about using their
products with Linux. I've got confused reading Linux help sites (like I
said, I'm very new to Linux), and wondered if anyone could offer some
(very basic) help please.

Cheers

Ian