[Preston] What is an Ethernet?

Walter James wlj477 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 8 21:13:01 BST 2006

Hi Chris,
 Just seen your email and I sympathise with your problems.  What you're asking, however, isn't rocket science.  I imagine you must have a PC (maybe it connects to the Internet already with Microshaft's Windblows).

 If this is the case and it connects the Internet through a broadband connection, booting it from a Linux CD/DVD with "Knoppix" on it (so Linux runs and Windblows doesn't) will (almost certainly) pickup your Internet connection without you doing anything.  No need to install the Linux (unless you want to) as it will run everything fine from the CD.

 If you use dialup to get to the Internet, it's a bit more complex.  You'll have to "tell" the Linux the phone number in (almost) the same way as for Windblows.  If this is the case, you need a different Linux like Fedora or SuSE which you'd need to install on your PC.

 To get a whole lot of other PCs connnecting to the first one and sharing its Internet connection does (as you've rightly said) need an ethernet connection.  This means all your PCs would need network cards and you'd have to link them all together with cables via a network hub/switch (an extra box you'd have to buy).  These other PCs can be running either Windblows or Linux as you wish.

 I don't often get to the Linux groups monthly meetings, but if I do, and we bump into each other, I'll gladly help you some more.  In the meantime, if you want a bootable CD with Knoppix on it, you just email me and ask, and I'll put one in the post to you.

 Best regards,

 Walter James.