[Preston] New arrival in the area

Guy Heatley guy.heatley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:53:04 BST 2007

Hello Godwin,
Firstly apologies for such a tardy response to your original email! I
pretty much run the PLUG and I work at the University here in Preston.
The month before the students return is a busy time of year for us in
the Information Systems dept!

Anyhow the heat has eased off somewhat now and I have a little more
time to think about Linux related matters.

We meet on the 1st Tuesday of the month so there will be a meeting
tomorrow. We usually pick a theme for the meeting which has 2 parts:
>From 7:30pm until 9pm (ish) we go in room CM018 in the C&T building at
the Uni, then from 9pm we wonder down to the pub (The Greyfriar on
Friargate) for a beer or two.

Because of being so busy there is no particular theme to this month's meeting.

The general idea of "a theme" is that someone (the host for that
month) picks something they know a little about and throws together a
few interesting points about the subject. Its not a lecture as such
(although sometimes it is ;-), and I prefer to think of it as an "open
workshop" where users discuss interesting points around the topic and
chip in with what they know.
In this way it removes the burden on one person to plan an
hour-and-a-half long presentation, and encourages the others to
participate actively. I'm sure you'll agree that user participation is
what keeps the GNU/Linux movement afloat!

Its quite possible the audience will consist of:-
(a) complete newbies to the chosen topic.
(b) those that know as much as you about it.
(c) the guy that helped to write the kernel module that supports the
topic in question!
Situation (c) is unusual, but it has happened.

Also, I always try to be helpful with people who are very new to Linux
instead of being snobbish or overly geeky. I don't think that kind of
attitude is helpful to encouraging new users. If we need to compare
lines of source code we save that until afterwards in the pub!

At the room in the Uni we have Internet access and a data projector.

So, we're a little disorganised this month, but you are certainly
welcome to come to both or  either parts of the meeting.

Look forward to seeing you there!
--
Guy

Stand up for freedom: Switch to GNU/Linux.
'Microsoft warned today that the era of ''open computing,''
the free exchange of digital information that has defined the
personal computer industry, is ending.'
New York Times, July 25, 2002