[Preston] Meeting venue

Godwin Stewart gstewart at bonivet.net
Thu Feb 11 11:18:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:48:48 +0000, Guy Heatley <guy at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Why not fall back to meeting in the pub until then? Unless anyone else
> has a better venue in mind?
>
> Obviously the pub is not optimal but at least its a meeting!

Indeed. In fact, the LUG I co-founded in central France always used to meet
in bars! The only problem with that, and the main reason I left that LUG,
was their lack of motivation and the ensuing absence of install-fests,
talks and formal action. The meetings were just a pretext to go out and
sink a few beers with friends.

I might be interested in pub meetings in Preston nonetheless even if just
to get to know a few like-minded people in the area. I'm in Horwich right
now and I'm dependent on public transport, so I wouldn't be able to stay
very late, but it would probably be worth the trip :)

Other pubs I know and quite like in Preston are the Stanley Arms (on
Lancaster Road, near the Church Street/Fishergate end) and the Market
Tavern on Market Street. Good food is available in the Stanley Arms...

G. Stewart - gstewart at bonivet.net

If the designers of X-window built cars, there would be no fewer than five
steering wheels hidden about the cockpit, none of which followed the same
principles -- but you'd be able to shift gears with your car stereo.
Useful feature, that,
                -- From the programming notebooks of a heretic, 1990.