[Preston] A LUG needs a purpose

markwalton1967 at aol.com markwalton1967 at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 20:10:43 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I've spent some of the recent rainy weekends putting together an LTSP
server based on Linux Mint with XFCE.
I got there by starting with Edubuntu 14.04, then my own build on
Ubuntu 16.04 and finally working through the forums to get Mint 17.3 to
build.

Now it's up and running it's ridiculously easy to host thin clients
(old Gigabyte Brix) from my equally old netbook. loaded with all the
common educational applications this would run any Primary school
classroom for KS2 and KS3.

Since it was an educational distro that got me going on this I began to
wonder why the LUGs do not reach out to the local schools and offer
their help in establishing Linux as a viable classroom alternative;
given that distros like Mint are now so new-user friendly. It can only
be lack of exposure to Linux and fear of the unknown that holds back
Linux in the Edtech sector.

This thought itself was a reflection on the time I spent briefly
keeping in touch with the Blackpool LUG last year, until they moved to
their new premises; they found a purpose in "makerspace" and all things
kinetic connected to Raspberry Pi's along with 3D Printers etc. This
has not only held their LUG together, but extended their appeal by
giving the group a puropse, rather than all sitting around with old
laptops and playing with the latest distro release's which was becoming
a little stale.

Which gets me to the real point of my note...would anyone on this
mailing list like to refresh the Preston LUG, have a get-together, and
maybe discuss such options as working with the schools, or any other
ideas that would give us a "raison d'etre" to overcome this dormant
state?

Come on, I know you're out there...you keep buying all the Linux
Voice/User mags before I can get to them in Morrisons or Sainsbury's :)

Mark Walton