[Preston] A LUG needs a purpose

Guy guy at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 13 00:50:18 UTC 2016

Hi Mark (and others),
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TlsZq2qUQ8M/UKY8iLgsSmI/AAAAAAAAAxA/2CwSmy5HtHQ/s1600/plug.gif
https://lug.org.uk/node/91
https://prestonlinuxusergroup.blogspot.ch/

PLUG was originally founded in 2001 by Phil Robinson. (He had the
prestonlinux.com domain registered, but it seems to have lapsed now.)

I used to organize the meetings in the mid noughties as I worked in IT
at UCLan (and still do) and could get a room booked at Uni (and still
could).

I stopped organizing meetings in 2008 as my wife gave birth to twins and
I didn't have the time. I seem to have a lot less free time nowadays
than I used to.

The group has been dormant since then, pretty much.

I think to run a PLUG as anything other than a drinking society (not
that there is anything wrong with that!) takes effort and organization.

I was occasionally disheartened when someone had freely volunteered to
present on a topic, donating their time and expertise, and the audience
could be counted on one hand. The effort and organization requirements
are the same if 5 people or 50 people show up.

But ... as Richard Stallman says - he fights the fight expecting to
lose, so any win is glorious. :-)

We used to meet on the 1st Tuesday of the month, starting a 19:30 at the
Uni, then at 21:00 go to the Greyfriar pub.

I would be prepared to attend / contribute to meetings etc, if they were
to occur, but I would say I have served my time as a primary PLUG organizer.

I also know there are a few of the old guard still reading this list.
Maybe some of them can be prised from under their rocks, blinking, into
the light of day.
:-)

Regards,

Guy Heatley