[Ryedale] The Yo Yo Monster ?

mel chizedek melchizedek_pr at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 19 19:36:35 BST 2006

Hi Al,

>Sounds like you have a fair bit of experience then.  When I saw you
>subscribe to the list I thought you might the Paul who came with Ash
>last Monday.  From what you've written above I take it you're the third
>Paul to subscribe.

Well I'm not the Paul you mentioned, so I guess I must be. I could change my name if that'd make things easier ;-)

>Hmm, for most people this would be one of the primary attractions of
>using Linux.  Maybe I've miss-understood you.

Actually, and perhaps I'm in the minority, but I've never had much of a problem with windows and I've been using it since the 3.1 days. I find XP the best of the bunch and since I've been using it I don't think it's crashed on me once. My reason for using Linux is simply a matter of firstly cash...I'm skint...and secondly because I miss the days when computers were actually computers. You had to work them like computers, mess about with code...and such like.

>I think this description would make many self appointed Linux X-spurts
>smart with embarrassment!  Sadly very accurate, but it certainly isn't
>the whole picture.  I get rather annoyed be these jokers who spout on
>about viruses and security yet usually post to lists with Outlook or
>Outlook Express, which really lets the side down.  They should at least
>practice what they preach.  I realise many post from works machines and
>have their hands tied.

Actually, I could well be describing myself. I've had Linux on my machine for donkeys years now, and must say I prefer it enormously to windows. But I've always JUST been able to get it working. The fault is no doubt through my own lack of expertise. Hence me asking the question.....for people who use Linux a lot, is it possible with a modicum of expert help to get a distro whipped into decent working shape. Thankfully, the answer seems to be yes...probably.

>I'm possibly the only one here who doesn't use a Microsoft machine and
>my use probably differs only in my not playing games.  Oh yeah!  I don't
>have a scanner set up as the scanner we have here simply isn't properly
>supported under Linux.  When the cash becomes available I'll sort that
>out but it's not really a high priority.

Yeah, I do play games, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm always going to need a small partition for Windows somewhere on my machine for that purpose.

>I think everyone else mixes and matches to suit their requirements.
>Don't worry, we'll not be making wax figures to stick pins in because
>you may have a box running Windows. :)

Ok, I'll put the stomach pains down to indigestion then, and not voodoo ;-)

>A big problem people face is with trying to get Linux working on a
>machine bought from a shop which simply uses components which are cheap
>or some magazine says is a super whizz bang doobry you can't do without.
>All well and good, but when said doobry doesn't have drivers for Linux
>your heading for a nightmare when you try your install.  When this box
>I'm writing this on was put together the components were carefully
>checked to ensure they'd all work with Linux before I bought them.

Ah, now that's an interesting comment. I always build my own machines, and while it would be lovely to say it's because I'm a computer whiz and love to customise my machine to take advantage of all the latest high tech components, the truth is it's because it's cheaper, and I can reuse some of my old bits and pieces....lol. Some of my bits and pieces could well do with scrutinising I'm sure for compatibility.

>Let's just say that despite it being an AMD64 based system the install
>was pretty straight forward.

I was toying with the idea of buying a new 64 bit proc and board, but was put off slightly by the seeming lack of software support for both Windows and Linux. Most of the people I know who've made the upgrade are still running 32 bit software...which seems to make the whole thing a bit pointless to me. So I'm holding off for the time being at least.

>Can little bugs be ironed out?  I'd say within limits yes.  Bare in mind
>though that not every Windows install is as smooth as some would like
>you to believe.  Alison who works in IT support at York Council says
>they buy new machines specifying the components to ensure minimal hoop
>jumping too.  This using MS, if you see what I'm getting at.

I do indeed. The main problems I have are with sound. I'm only running generic drivers for my Soundblaster card, so perhaps a driver update would help. But the information on how or whether I should do this differs so widely it's sometimes hard to know what to try first since some supposed solutions leave your system in one hell of a mess.

<Yes I've been known to to the odd bit of juggling.  Sounds like you met
>Martin aka Yo Yo Monster.  A fountain of knowledge and very free with
>it. ;)

Martin the Yo Yo Monster eh? Nice name...lol. The last time I spoke with him he was heavily into doing card tricks. Then he made me try juggling one tiny ball, one normal sized ball and one massive ball...with disastrous results naturally.

>Don't be shy, the folks at both the Uni and Town clubs are very
>friendly.  My first evening at the town club was something of a shock
>too.  I managed to find a spot between a guy juggling seven balls and a
>guy juggling four clubs while riding a unicycle.  Awesome!  Great folks
>though, they won't mind if you head over and just yarn and drink tea.
>Very easy going.  You should check out Chocfest next year though.  Worth
>it for the show alone.

That's one link I didn't check out, but will. So what do you juggle? Balls? Clubs? Personally I just do three or four balls...rather unsuccessfully at times I might add.

Kind regards....Paul