[Ryedale] Good evening all!!!!!

Jam Adams thefatsamurai at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 00:31:01 BST 2006

> I'm seriously considering the possibility that I may
> dissolve before the night's over).

I can relate to that!

> I've been using Linux on and off for years now. I started out with Red
> Hat 7. Then I moved to Mandrake, before rather shamelessly drifting back
> to Windows for a while. Then I tried Fedora Core 4 (I can't remember why
> now, but I'm sure there was an excellent reason at the time). I used FC4
> successfully for quite a while, although I did have a stab at SuSe 9.3
> at one point (couldn't get the sound to work properly). I had a brief
> sojourn in Mandriva land...which was quite enjoyable, though having the
> words FREE emblazoned across every screen did somewhat ruin the package
> for me a tad. Eventually I went back to Fedora, which recently was
> upgraded to to Core 5.

Heh. Your Linux travels seem familiar to mine. I was a bit of a distro
freak up until recently. I have tried pretty much everything (with the
exception of Slackware, which I did install but never got past basic
configuration). Many gave me various niggling problems which prompted me
to change to another, ending up in some sort of loop and a few knackered
cd trays. I stuck with Debian for quite a while, now, like you, I have
settled on Ubuntu. I get all the debian geekiness with a lovely front
end - and most importantly - 'it just works'.

> So here I am. With plenty of questions to ask :-)
>
> Question one being.....Is it actually possibly to get Linux working with
> any reasonable degree of reliability?

<snip>

I think so. Like Al said, it's all down to compatibility. The only thing
that doesn't work on this machine is the wireless pcmcia card. Really
that was my fault for not checking properly whether it was compatible.

> So is it possible to iron out all the little bugs? Or is there mostly
> always some degree of compromise that has to be made?

Oh yes. There is always compromise. I can't just go into a shop and pick
up any bit of whizzy hardware that I like the look of. I can't play the
latest games (not that I have a wish to anyway, i prefer a monopoly
board or some such..) and I find that i'm stuck with windows for
photoshop. It's a damn site better than a few years back though and
getting better all the time. I'm here for the ride.

Welcome to the group. I hope you got 'some' sleep.

Jamie