[Ryedale] Linux in schools

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Mon May 1 14:43:57 BST 2006

Hi All,

Just read this on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4960586.stm

I'm no expert on the school curriculum but what I do know is that Linux can be
used to 'extend' the shelf life of older equipment. I happily use Linux on an
older Pentium III 733Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb HDD with the more 'bloated' KDE
desktop (in comparison with other Linux desktop environments) and it's very
useable for all the tasks that I want to achieve.

I'm sure that there is a large amount of politics involved in this issue and
schools running Linux wouldn't solve all of the headaches for teachers and
administrators but I'm sure it would help. Surely it would save council tax
payers some money too on the likes of software licences. It also gives pupils
a chance to see that there is more to computers than just Microsoft giving
them a chance to form an opinion.

Regards,
Paul.