[Ryedale] Back in Ryedale

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Mon May 1 14:00:43 BST 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 12:44, Al Girling wrote:

Hi Al,

> Firstly; thanks for the best wishes you sent for my father, much
> appreciated.  He is now much better than we dared to hope for when I
> last posted to the group.  Still a long way to go, but things now look
> far more hopeful.

Lets hope that things continue to get better for your Dad. Welcome back too :)

> A few things have been moving in my absence that you should know about.
>
> We are now listed on both the http://lugww.counter.li.org/ and
> and has received their June copy they may have seen we should be
> included in the lists of UK LUGs.  If you can think of any other places
> we should contact like this then don't hesitate to let me know.

I noticed the listing in Linux Format as I started to read it last night so
yes we are listed now. Excellent work.

I have noticed on lug.org.uk we are still marked as starting even though we
now have a basic website up and running. In truth I guess we still are
starting but I read somewhere that once you get your website up and running
you will be changed from starting to active.

> I'm starting to get responses to requests for people to give talks with
> Jonathan Worthington agreeing to present his Introduction to Perl talk
> and Gavin Baker to give his Intro to LaTex talk.  Dates to be sorted
> yet, as is the venue to be confirmed.  Things are still pretty crazy
> here, but I will try to get my Intro to Vim, to be given via IRC,
> complete before the end of the year.

I've offered to do a talk for Scarborough LUG in June. I would also be very
happy to do it for RyeLUG also (sooner or later I don't mind). It's entitled
Linux Mail Server: An Overview. It's just intended to give Linux users (and
potential Linux users) a brief overview of the tools and services needed to
run a Linux mail server. If there is real interest I will go into depth (if
requested) at a later date(s). I would also be happy to do some other talk
such as An Introduction To Linux to try and get some Windows users interested
in looking at Linux. Two genuine offers there :)

As an aside because of the bank holiday I have done today what I normally do
on Wednesday nights thus leaving me free to go to the Scarborough LUG meeting
on Wednesday night. If you have time to go I'm offering you a lift. Just let
me know.

> Oh well!  I've a million other things to catch up with, so I'd best be
> on with them.
>
> Lastly, welcome to Ash who recently subscribed.  Hope to hear from you
> soon.

We'll try to get a RyeLUG meeting organised Al in hopes that Ash and others
pay us a visit.

Regards,
Paul.