[Ryedale] Server Project

David Richards richards.malton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 23:13:29 BST 2006

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> On 04/10/06, david richards <richards.malton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings everyone,
>>
>> I have been offered an old PC which may be suitable for use as a test
>> server
>> for the group, I'll know a bit more about it when I get it tomorrow
>> it is a
>> P200 or something. Is anyone interested ?. I have been told it has a
>> version
>> of Linux already installed on it (Mandrake 9.x I think). I expect
>> Debian or
>> something would be suitable. There is no monitor and perhaps no keyboard
>> either but I can probably supply these if needed too.
>>
>> Best regards, Dave.
>>

> Cool , I am looking forward to this
>

> Fintan
Well, I tried the old dog tonight, as stated it booted into RH9.1 but I
don't know the password so I put a Knoppix disk into it and booted that.
After an age, well at least a few minutes anyway, I got the X gui up. It
has a nic but it wasnt plugged into my router at the time. I'll dig out
some Debian Sarge disks and put a base install onto it and then anyone
who wants to take it is free to do so. Another old PC is the last thing
I want at the moment. So who will take it off my hands?

You can have the crap AOC 15 inch monitor to go with it too. I think
that my son Alex has pinched my good spare keyboard but the one he left
in its place seems to ok (but I'm sure the keys are sticky or something,
he tried cleaning it and then left it for me). n.b. there is no mouse,
but for a server that should be of no concern.

I'll bring it along to the next meeting if I don't have to take it home
with me :-)

Best regards, Dave.