[Ryedale] Server Project

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 08:01:38 BST 2006

David Richards wrote:

--%<--

> Well, I tried the old dog tonight, as stated it booted into RH9.1 but I
> don't know the password so I put a Knoppix disk into it and booted that.
> After an age, well at least a few minutes anyway, I got the X gui up. It
> has a nic but it wasnt plugged into my router at the time. I'll dig out
> some Debian Sarge disks and put a base install onto it and then anyone
> who wants to take it is free to do so. Another old PC is the last thing
> I want at the moment. So who will take it off my hands?

I've just sent a mail to the Brooklyn Centre asking if they have a store
room we might use to house this sort of kit.  I think we're all in the
same boat regarding homes full of old kit and testing the patience of
loved ones with our computers.  It might be necessary to have kit PAT
tested if we plan to use it at the centre regularly, but that shouldn't
be a problem.

I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>