[Ryedale] Ubuntu keyboard layout

Paul Teasdale pdt at ryetek.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 20:43:54 GMT 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 22:04, Al Girling wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I downloaded and burnt a copy of Ubuntu 7 the other day, not done a
> great deal with Ubuntu before.  I was disappointed to find the only
> keyboard layout option was for US English rather than United Kingdom,
> which means that '@' becomes '"' etc.
>
> Now I want to pass this disc to a complete Linux newbie but it's going
> to be a poor start if the keyboard doesn't work as they'd expect and I
> don't know how to correct it.  Can anyone give me a clue please?
>
> Al

Hi Al,

I've tried booting Ubuntu 7.04 and at the very initial boot loader screen,
before selecting 'Start or install Ubuntu' you can press F3 and select the
desired country. Obviously if you select UK and then boot up the key mapping
is then correct.

I not sure if there is a way you could permanently store this setting but I
doubt it without a lot of hassle.

Regards,
Paul.