[Ryedale] Ubuntu keyboard layout

Al Girling acgirling at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 07:09:37 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:43:35PM GMT, Paul Teasdale wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2008 22:04, Al Girling wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I downloaded and burnt a copy of Ubuntu 7 the other day, not done a
> > great deal with Ubuntu before.  I was disappointed to find the only
> > keyboard layout option was for US English rather than United Kingdom,
> > which means that '@' becomes '"' etc.
> >
> > Now I want to pass this disc to a complete Linux newbie but it's going
> > to be a poor start if the keyboard doesn't work as they'd expect and I
> > don't know how to correct it.  Can anyone give me a clue please?
> >
> > Al
> >
> Hi Al,
>
> I've tried booting Ubuntu 7.04 and at the very initial boot loader screen,
> before selecting 'Start or install Ubuntu' you can press F3 and select the
> desired country. Obviously if you select UK and then boot up the key mapping
> is then correct.

Thanks Paul,

I should have been a little more accurate with the version number which
is Ubuntu 7.10, nut that this makes a huge difference I'm sure!

Thanks fro the pointer to F3, I'll have to makes some notes to pass to
my newbie friend.

> I not sure if there is a way you could permanently store this setting but I
> doubt it without a lot of hassle.

I'm sure you're right, while it would make life a lot easier to pass out
discs in the UK, I suspect the all powerful influence of the US will
continue to rule over us for a while more.

Thanks,

Al Girling

Linux User: #290080             <http://counter.li.org>
Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>