[Ryedale] old laptop debian installed

Paul Teasdale pdt at ryetek.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 11:57:31 BST 2008

On 31 Mar 2008, at 09:51, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> Paul Teasdale wrote:
>> Do you know what chipset the wireless card is based on
>

> Is it Realtek 8180?
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=92119&highlight=Netgear+MA521

Hi All,

You need to beware with some manufacturers. They will alter the actual
chipset of the card without changing the model number (although they
sometimes change the version). I have known both Belkin and Linksys to
do this in the past.

I remember that I had a Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 that worked with Linux
using the Atmel driver but I had a friend with a Linksys WUSB11 v2.4
and it was a whole different ball game. This was a different chipset
but physically looked identical and had an identical model number. The
version was different however. I seem to remember it was evil to get
working under Linux.

Can you confirm the chipset is a Realtek 8180?

Regards,
Paul.