[Ryedale] Last Night's Meeting

Stephen O'Neill squid at thefloatingfrog.co.uk
Tue May 20 10:19:40 BST 2008

Al Girling wrote:
> I'm glad you found the Gramps and OSM stuff interesting.  I could do
> with working on my demo technique though.  Something a little slicker
> than pointing, clicking and mumbling might be in order!

When I first started going to Scarborough LUG meetings 4/5 years ago it
seemed to me that presenters put themselves under pressure to do a "good
demo" and ended up doing no demo at all.

Last night's demo worked fine for me - pointing and clicking was ideal,
particularly as you had real stuff to show us rather than being
hypothetical.

I was interested in the family tree idea ... although I don't know how
you approach family saying "tell me all you know about your relatives"
without it sounding like you think they're not long for this world.

None-the-less even just using it to trace your living relatives and
document all photographs etc looked really useful - especially if it can
export to more common formats so the mantle could be taken up by future
generations if bit-rot didn't set in.

--
Stephen O'Neill
w: http://www.thefloatingfrog.co.uk/