[SC.LUG] Damn!

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 4 13:44:01 2002

John Southern wrote:

>On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 12:22 am, Ian Molton wrote:
>

>>This place is quiet.
>>
>>I can hear the tumbleweeds...
>>

>OK.
>
>Just for fun over Christmas (more of an insurance policy if I get no presents)
>I thought about making my own Distro.
>It's aim is purely fun and will never go beyond the front door (that way if it
>does not work I will not get laughed at, and if it does work I won't bore too
>many people).
>
>Has anyone done anything similar?

No, my sanity gets in the way 8-)

>Are there any really big gotchas that in Christmas merriment I am likely to
>forget.

Surely the pointless hardships are what makes it so enjoyable? ;-P

>Any suggestions of what would be good on it?

Hello John,

ottomh:

maintainability - you could incorporate apt, but then to a large
extent you'd be tracking Debian GNU - I guess we're looking
at source-based here?
Thinking about Debian's installer - some sort of hack on Knoppix's
hardware detection would be neat - but if it's not going to be
widely distributed, what's the point of hardware detection?

On the installer side -
A lot to think about here - it depends how far you want to go
and still keep it "fun" ;-)

Holy wars - rolling your own is a good chance to say "My *nix
will have only emacs, or only Ed, or whatever"
Seriously, though, what are your prejudices for a desktop
- just go with these :-)

It might be fun to roll out a "kiosk" distro - after the old
Netscape kiosk, but with say, OpenOffice.org, with a
smoothwall style installer - to take over people's old P-IIs.

An Emacs version - now that would be fun. No Bash - it
just boots straight to Emacs, and flashes uo a message
with the shortcuts for mail, w3m and Sokoban ;-)

merry xmas,

- Richard

/me goes back to recovering from my Mac's hard disk crash :-(

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format

Telephone +44 (0) 1225 442244 ext 5038

 et quod fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.