membership drive [was Re: [SC.LUG] New poll]

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 19 16:36:00 2002

Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:32:21PM +0000, Richard Smedley wrote:
> > But what does the LUG want or
> > need?
>
> Members, meetings, mission, feedback.
[snip]

> Once you get people working together, you can do all of the
> above.  Unless you get people together, you can't do much.

I've been thinking that some sort of membership drive might be
in order. It would be a good idea to discuss this at the meeting
after the talk - but many of the members won't be there, so I'm
keen to hear ideas here from everyone.

Suggestions: e.g.

Produce a leaflet on Free Software and the
LUG, for distribution by local computer shops.

Ditribute Knoppix CDs to local schools
(will need sponsorship).

Articles for local papers.

A stand at local business fairs.

etc., etc.

/// More ideas, please.

> There's an enormous amount of good will and generosity
> in the Linux community.  Harness a bit of it.

Indeed :-)

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format

Telephone +44 (0) 1225 442244 ext 5038