[SC.LUG] LXF - LUG of the month

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 28 16:47:01 2002

Linux Format has kindly offered to put South Cheshire LUG
in its "LUG of the month" column.

Has anyone got any strong objections to the following:

LUG of the month
South Cheshire

South Cheshire LUG actually covers the whole of the county (and has members
in Staffordshire and North Wales). The modest title comes from the founders’
belief that the industrial towns of North Cheshire would soon form their own
LUGs (we’d still like to encourage this).
Three years down the line from the first idea for the LUG, and we are
emerging from a quiet period. Meetings have restarted: we’ve just had a
terrific talk by Anthony Holloway from Jodrell Bank, speaking about their
use of Linux, and their 180-CPU Beowulf cluster. This drew a good turnout,
and was well received. Now plans are under way for a recruitment drive, and
to find a permanent meeting place, where we can demonstrate Free Software,
as an alternative to the current tour of real ale pubs.
We hope to collaborate with neighbouring LUGs on regional events in the near
future.
Members range from business users and I.T. professionals, through home
users, to those working to bring Free Software to local schools and
charities. All are welcome, regardless of knowledge, age or experience.
Get involved and make a difference in your local community. The mailing list
is linked from:
www.sc.lug.org.uk

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format