[SC.LUG] ISPs

Neil Lucock sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 16:27:01 2003

On Sunday 06 Jan 1980 12:03 pm, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Hello you friendly bunch,
>

> Matthew here with another simple, if brainless, question...
>
> If I have an existing account with an ISP such as Freeserve or Go-plus, it
> can be accessed from a Windows PC simply by dialling the right number and
> entering the correct username and password.
>
> Can I do exactly the same from a Linux PC?
>
> These ISPs claim they don't support non-Windows OSs (except MacOS in some
> cases) but since I can set up a web account with them online can I not also
> dial in using kppp or similar?
Dead easy. Do the Freeserve "make a new account" process on-line (hint, you'll
need an existing account to do it) and when it tells you that they are going
to download a file, save it. It's a windows .inf file (e.g. anytime.inf), so
just change the ending to .txt and open it in a text editor (notepad), print
it out. There's a lot of windows configuration stuff that brands I.E. so you
might want to delete to save some ink, but you can just plug the values
straight in to KPPP/Kmail/Knode or whatever you use.
I used Linux with  Freeserve until this year. Don't expect any technical
support though, Freeserve are not penguin-friendly.
regards,
Neil