[SC.LUG] ISPs

Matthew Tolley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Aug 10 22:38:01 2003

Smashing,

Thanks to Neil and Martyn for answering my question.

Some of you guys questioned my question, but I did ask for a reason...

I help people reduce their bills. In my business I have customers who
currently use Windows and who want to keep their email addresses with
Freeserve (say). There's a great deal of perceived hassle in changing,
especially if you're in business and you've put our a lot of marketing with
your email address on it.

Previously, I was able to reduce my customers' internet costs by
transferring them to a cheaper ISP service (1p per minute all day every
day), while configuring their PCs to send & receive messages using
Freeserve's server (sneaky, eh?). They also get an improvement, surprisingly
enough, in speed and reliability of connection (let's face it, some of the
bigger ISPs aren't so hot). Now I can also wean my customers off the dreaded
Windows by suggesting Linux or Lindows as an OS (for the ones who want
reliability and speed), and they can continue to keep their Freeserve
address AND use a cheaper dial-up service! Everyone wins (except Bill Gates,
and I don't think he's short of a bob or two).

In time, of course, they will transfer ISPs, but that's a different story...

I know Freeserve et al. won't provide tech support, but I can help them with
much of that. I just wanted to know that it was technically possible.

Thanks again gang,

Matthew