jon.d@c2internet.net - Email found in subject - Re: jon.d@c2i nternet.net - Email found in subject - Re: jon.d@c2i nternet.net - Email found in subject - Re: [SC.LUG] RE: jon.d@c2internet .net - Email found in subject - RE: [SC.LUG] ISPs

Matthew Tolley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 15:36:00 2003

Personally, I'm a big believer in prosperity for everyone.

What do I mean?

Well look up "prosper" in my dictionary and you'll see it means "to thrive,
succeed etc., or cause to thrive, succeed etc., in a healthy way".
Prosperity means health, wealth, happiness and abundance in every area of
your life.

And that brings me to my main point - QUALITY.

I believe that if you make quality decisions, associate with quality people,
buy quality products and services, and introduce the idea of quality into
everything you do, then you will cause a dramatic increase in your
prosperity. If you start doing things for cost reasons, you start blocking
the prosperity in your life and your whole quality of life (there's that
word again), suffers.

Take my landlady*. She lives in a cheap place, drives a cheap car, does the
minimum work she can do, only tidies up when she's expecting a blind date to
arrive, re-carpeted her house with a cheap, nasty carpet she inherited when
her mother died, watches lots of TV, complains when she has to buy anything
(like a new lightbulb, and even then she gets the cheapest one - a false
economy because it uses more electricity), and she just bought the cheapest
mobile she could find [and she probably spent a lot in petrol driving around
to get it too]. In short, she's always stepping over pounds to pick up
pennies. Needless to say, she isn't going to be my landlady for much longer.

Here's my question - do you think she's happy?

You already know the answer to that one, don't you?

People who only buy the cheapest, nastiest product on the market, live in
cheap places, eat the food that is the cheapest (etc) tend to live miserable
lives. They're not prospering.

Now if there's 4 phones you can buy - one at £30, one at £40, one at £50 and
one at £60, and you buy the £40 phone because you like it the best, then
that's a prosperous decision. But if you bought the £40 phone for financial
reasons (really you wanted the £50 one), then you just made an unprosperous
decision, and in my book caused yourself a lot of unnecessary suffering. All
too often, unprosperous people say things like "I wish I'd spent that little
bit extra and got the better one", and so on. Quality always costs less in
the end.

I'm certainly not saying you should go and buy a big house that you can't
afford and bankrupt yourself. What I AM saying is BEGIN introducing the idea
of quality into every area of your life. Start, perhaps, by buying some
quality socks. Invest the extra 20p and switch to a quality newspaper. Treat
yourself to a quality coffee instead of the cheap stuff. The more you live
quality, the more you'll love your life. Introduce quality into your work
and you'll develop a reputation for it. Then you'll REALLY be able to buy
quality things because people who do quality work get pay rises and
promotions very quickly. Everyone wants to be around a quality person.

Enough of the cheap thinking and the cheap jokes. Let's start mixing with
quality people, making quality decisions and living quality lives - that's
prosperity!

Matthew

*Please. :)