[SC.LUG] Re: posting to Linux mail list

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Fri Dec 19 18:30:43 GMT 2003

Jason Lucas wrote:
> 1. I really want to spend lots and lots of my hard earned cash on
> expensive, buggy products over which I have absolutely no control.

I want to spend hours fiddling with buggy products and badly written
documentation over which nobody has any real control.

> 2. I really want to employ someone to manage my EULA's.

I *really* want to employ somebody to RTFM for me.

> 3. I would love my computer to crash at least 5 times a day.

I would love to spend all day reminiscing about 1995 to.

> 4. I want to pay for frequent bug-fixes (er... sorry, upgrades)

I want to be on a never ending treadmill of free upgrades that I don't
really have a choice about using and might knacker everything (until the
next upgrade comes out, usually 24 hours later). Hell I want upgrades that
force me to upgrade everything, running as fast as I can just to keep still.

> 5. I want to reduce the life span of my business computers to just
> over 12 months.

Damn those games and their ever increasing demands - I want a new business
computer every 12 months, no really :)

> 6. I like spending hours on the phone to MS support people - they are
> just the nicest people to talk to, even when they can't solve the
> problem.

I like spending hours fighting with zealots on Usenet and not get a single
straight answer. Eventually finding I have no choice but to learn the finer
points of a piece of software just so I can get it working (Usually by
reading a manual that's not specifically for the version I have). Nobody
seems to realise, I don't care how or why, just as long as it does.

> 7. I really enjoy tapping in long product activation codes on my
> phone.

I really enjoy routing through files in etc, looking for that one almost
documented option that means I can do something more fun with what's left of
my weekend.

> 8. I want to be tied into DCM. After all - you can't trust anyone
> these days!

I want to be denied the online media revolution because it's ideologically
incompatible with the people who write my software.

> 9. I like all the spyware that IE helps install.

Think you win that one :P

> 10. I enjoy removing viruses, and trying to recover data.

I'm not stupid enough to run everything people send me via email, but those
worms really really get my goat. Oh, we all have worms? Bugger.

> But above all, I like seeing thousands of small businesses being
> trampled on by the almighty MS!

I remember a story about grass being greener.

> Yours, tongue-in-cheek,

Yours with 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key