[SC.LUG] Windows XP & Dual Boot Setups

Simeon sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 1 17:46:00 2003

srmlou> From: "Frank Mitchell" <mitchell.frank@bigwig.net>
srmlou> To: <sc@mailman.lug.org.uk>
srmlou> Cc: <rcgibson@iee.org>
srmlou> Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:58:48 +0100
srmlou> Subject: [SC.LUG] Windows XP & Dual Boot Setups
srmlou> Reply-To: sc@mailman.lug.org.uk

srmlou> I've only just discovered that if you buy a new PC from Curry's, a Windows
srmlou> XP Installation CDROM is NOT INCLUDED. In fact they said nobody else would
srmlou> include one, due to MS Licensing Restrictions. Am I the only one who's this
srmlou> much out of touch? Are there any PC Suppliers who include an XP Installation
srmlou> Disk? Can you even buy Windows XP in "stand-alone" form, as opposed to
srmlou> the Upgrade? It would certainly make a difference to the way I'd approach a
srmlou> Dual Install.

srmlou> Faictz ce que vouldras: Frank Mitchell

Hi Frank

Some places do - I bought my latest machine from multivision who
supplied a real windows disc.

Actually I'm happy to recommend them - although the memory in my
machine turned out to be faulty they were extremely helpful in getting
it fixed (went back the monday before easter and came back on the
tuesday after easter - that's not bad really with 2 bank hols in
between)

Otherwise get hold of Ghost (or equivalent), back up the HDD (so you
can reinstall your customised windows (if required),
repartition and install linux? :) probably some way of resplatting the
image onto another partition (or installing linux on a higher
partition with windows occupying less of the disk?

Simeon