[SC.LUG] Payment for reprints

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 17:02:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 13:24, Neil Lucock wrote:

> I noticed that Future Publishing have a Linux guide in the newsagents. They've
> reprinted the Open Office.org material I wrote for LXF (and lots of other
> articles that have appeared in LXF).
> I thought that when you write an article you are selling the "First British
> Serial Rights" to the publisher. My undestanding was that if it appears in
> print again, they should pay you again (although not as much for the First
> time it was printed).

Hello Neil,

Read before you sign ;-/

> Have I got it wrong? Can anyone tell me exactly what the rules are concerning
> reprints of material by the same publisher, please?

There are many different contracts used by Future,
I'll try and find mine to check - but I believe you
signed for more than ``First British Serial Rights''
However that is not to say you are not due some
money if the article was reprinted after more
than six months - I just don't think so :-/

 - Richard

[/me ruches off to check my contract]

--
Richard Smedley
Production Editor, LinuxUser & Developer

T: 01625 855084, F: 01625 855071
richard.smedley@linuxuser.co.uk

http://www.linuxuserexpo.com/
24-26 June, NEC, Birmingham,UK

``Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error
code "418 I'm a teapot". The resulting entity body MAY be short
and stout.''                            -- RFC 2324

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster@livepublishing.co.uk immediately via reply email. Any personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or use.