[SC.LUG] Re: fw message: crewe

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 2 11:27:00 2003

Steve Rodin said:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Sorry for this semi-direct communication, but I haven't had much luck
> getting in touch with anyone so far.

Hello Steve,

Details of South Cheshire LUG at the bottom of
this e-mail.

> I live in Crewe and would love to get involved with a LUG in my local
> area. I have 'played' with a number of installations and have so far
> enjoyed all of them.

> I have just been given an old laptop and was hoping to install Linux on
> it but need some ideas from others as to what distro and how to go about
> it. I would be grateful if you or someone you might be able to think of
> can contact me and help me out.

Happy to help :-)
We have a meeting on 14 May, Wheelock, Sandbach,
which you are welcome to attend/ bring along your
laptop.

Meanwhile I've cc'd the SC.LUG mailing list, in
case there is anyone else living in Crewe who
may want to contact you directly.

We could do with more info on the laptop, for
an indication of what would be best. 'Old' covers
quite a range. Eg, if it's a 386 with 6MB of RAM
you need to go a fairly customised route, if it's
a pentium you can use a regulaar distro but
have to be careful about package selection.

My mother has a Toshiba laptop with a P120, 32MB RAM
and a 5GB HDD running Debian GNU/Linux. My wife's
Thinkpad (P133/48MB) runs Debian, too.

Many people have found Peanut GNU/Linux a good distro
where HDD space is limited. If you have less than 64MB
RAM, then it is in the choice of GUI and browser that
you need to be careful.

> I can be contacted on steverodin@clara.co.uk

btw you will need to subscribe to the mailing list
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/sc
in order to post there.

Regards,

"Dad, why should we hide from the Police?"    |  www.affs.org.uk
"Because we use Emacs son, and they use Vi!"  |  - supporting Free Software

South Cheshire GNU/Linux Users Group www.sc.lug.org.uk