[SC.LUG] So, are RedHat ditching the home user market?

Neil Lucock neil.lucock at zen.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 18:59:10 GMT 2003

On Monday 03 Nov 2003 5:16 pm, Mike Stuart wrote:
> Here is a question for the group.
>
> <ramble undertone="rant">
> Are RedHat ditching the home / small business user by dropping the boxed /
> download redhat distribution?
snip---
I've always been a Mandrake fan, they release their iso's to the world, it's
generally nice to use (better than RH, perhaps a little bit behind SuSE in
some areas) and more up-to-date than Debian.
The other option you might want to look at is FreeBSD. There's a Linux
compatability thingy that lets you run Linux programmes and their ports
system is copied by Debian's apt-get. Hardware support isn't as extensive as
with Linux, but it's easy enough to install and runs KDE etc. if that's what
you want. It's a free download and the little red demon is way nicer than the
penguin ;-)
I downloaded Shrike (RH 9) and wasn't impressed. I put it on the laptop and it
booted KDE without a mouse. OK, you can fix it, but I was not impressed.

neil