[SC.LUG] So, are RedHat ditching the home user market?

Mike Stuart mike at inf0web.com
Mon Nov 3 19:20:32 GMT 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 18:56, Neil Lucock wrote:
> The other option you might want to look at is FreeBSD. There's a Linux
> compatability thingy that lets you run Linux programmes and their ports
> system is copied by Debian's apt-get. Hardware support isn't as extensive
> as with Linux, but it's easy enough to install and runs KDE etc. if that's
> what you want. It's a free download and the little red demon is way nicer
> than the penguin ;-)

I am familiar with the BSDs also but I have never been as happy with them as
with any linux distro.  For me, hardware support is extremely important
(running on laptops and ultra modern desktops etc) and Linux itself lags
behind the windows world so the BSDs are even more frustrating in that area.
From a business perspective as well, we don't sell "old hardware" so again
that can be a big issue.  That said however, I do like BSD although it has
been some time since I last looked at them.

The demon and tux are just as nice to me :o)

> I downloaded Shrike (RH 9) and wasn't impressed. I put it on the laptop and
> it booted KDE without a mouse. OK, you can fix it, but I was not impressed.

I had the opposite experience on my now 3 year vintage Dell Latitude C800 with
shrike, it worked flawlessly out of the box.  SuSE 8.2 was not quite there
and needed tweaking, but 9.0 I installed last week was again flawless except
for that fact there appears to be no driver for the onboard 3com winmodem but
no distro has EVER managed that one!

Thanks for your insite tho'

Mike.