[SC.LUG] Importing Files

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Wed Nov 5 14:58:03 GMT 2003

Hi Guys,

Right, I've got my Mandrake 9.1 installed and working tickety-boo and AOK.

I have one problem which I think is hardware. The system keeps freezing -
crashing - nothing happens, screen frozen, no mouse, keyboard instructions
result in nothing. I keep having to reboot. I'm reasonably sure this is a
hardward problem because I had the same issue when I was running windows on
the same machine (perhaps the CPU fan is broken causing an overheating
problem?).

Anyway, apart from that glitch, I now need to import all my Windows-based
files from my Backup CD-Rom. If I understand correctly, I can use OpenOffice
to import MS Office files. Ximian Evolution does the same things as Outlook
2000 so I assume you can import Outlook files into Evolution?? (can anyone
confirm?), which pretty much just leaves MS Money.

GnuCash appears to import Quicken (.qif) files but not MS money as far as I
can tell - can anyone recommend an alternative which does directly import MS
Money (.mny) files???

My gratitude would be eternal!

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

PS - a big hand to Neil Lucock and Paul Alexander who have been especially
helpful in my transition to Linux!