[SC.LUG] So, are RedHat ditching the home user market?

prytherch at talk21.com prytherch at talk21.com
Wed Nov 5 17:00:24 GMT 2003

> on previous looks debian has been a pain to install
> (apparently this as improved, but would need to investigate).

Then investigate - it's well worth it :-)
I've been using Debian as my main desktop
for many years, and configuration has often
been, well, challenging, but keeping the
system up-to-date is trivial - and ideal
for a lazy user like me ;-)

Nowadays (or at least 'til Sarge is
released) try using Knoppix, taking the
install-to-hard-disk option and then
updating from official Debian sources,
for the simple option :)

Getting back on-topic (for a change)
Red Hat was founded by a business man
who wanted to make money. Despite this
they have always played very fair with
Free Software, and have contributed a
fair amount to the community.
Community efforts like Debian are
probably the only way to guarantee you'll
never have to change distro again, though
there's always FreeBSD...

btw I've been playing around with the
new SuSE (cheers Andy) at home - most of
my x86 hardware doesn't have the RAM
for the install, but on my best machine
it's been /extremely/ slick.

 - Richard Smedley
/sending from webmail address while taking
advantage of someone else's broadband - oh
to live on the other side of the broadband
divide ;^/

PS perhaps I should have called it Novell
Linux 9.0 ;-)

South Cheshire Linux Users Group
http://www.sc.lug.org.uk/projects/schools.html