[SC.LUG] So, are RedHat ditching the home user market?

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Wed Nov 5 17:38:44 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 5:57 pm, prytherch at talk21.com wrote:
> > on previous looks debian has been a pain to install
> > (apparently this as improved, but would need to investigate).
>
> Then investigate - it's well worth it :-)
> I've been using Debian as my main desktop
> for many years, and configuration has often
> been, well, challenging, but keeping the
> system up-to-date is trivial - and ideal
> for a lazy user like me ;-)
>
> Nowadays (or at least 'til Sarge is
> released) try using Knoppix, taking the
> install-to-hard-disk option and then
> updating from official Debian sources,
> for the simple option :)
>
> Getting back on-topic (for a change)
> Red Hat was founded by a business man
> who wanted to make money. Despite this
> they have always played very fair with
> Free Software, and have contributed a
> fair amount to the community.
> Community efforts like Debian are
> probably the only way to guarantee you'll
> never have to change distro again, though
> there's always FreeBSD...

The register have a reasonable take on the redhat situation,

but for me it can be summed up by their final paragraph

"But it [Redhat] could have done it, and put it, better. Might we suggest
telling customers, 'Sorry, we made a mistake, this is what we're doing now,
this is how we propose to make it up to you' would have been a good place to
start?"

   Dave.

[snip]

> South Cheshire Linux Users Group