jon.d@c2internet.net - Email found in subject - Re: [SC.LUG]C onnectivity

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Nov 24 16:20:31 GMT 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:07:37 -0000
Jonathan Dwerryhouse <jon.d at c2internet.net> wrote:

> "having four lines would reduce the likelyhood of total downtime a little
> too."  It most definitely wouldn't- they're all going into the same DSLAM.

each line still has its own equipment at the end of it, though.

thats why I said a *little*. they can still all be taken out at once farily easily but its not quite so bad.

I agree DSL wont replace a leased line in all cases but it is a very cheap alternative for (in some cases) more bandwidth than a leased line too.

Horses for courses I guess.

I still recon leased lines for the sort of bandwidth they get used for these days will be gone in the next few years. Nowadays, anyone can afford the bandwidth, so leased lines will move to being a higher reliability service, rather than (necessarily) higher bandwidth, as they used to be (I remember drooling over leased line bandwidths when I only had a 28k8 modem...)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.