[SC.LUG] Linux Mags?

Richard Smedley richard.smedley at livepublishing.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 12:00:04 BST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 22:52, Neil Lucock wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 Oct 2003 8:30 pm, Rick [Kitty5] wrote:
> > Does anyone buy any of the Linux mags? I was looking at one today in
> > smoths, but the £6.49 price tag made me put it back on the shelf
>
> Most of the price is the DVD/CD included.

The disc is virtually a free gift, it makes up a
tiny part of the magazine's cost, though a large
part of its perceived value (and thus some
justification for LXF's pricey DVD edition)

[snip]
> I also find that I just don't have much time to read magazines.

That's always been my problem - but it doesn't
seem to stop me buying them anyway :-/

>  I would
> not buy one at £6.49 unless it came with a free laptop.

The way laptop prices are coming down maybe they'll
be cheaper than magazines one day :-)

> It would be nice to have a magazine without a CD/DVD included.

Linux Magazine doesn't have a disc unless you
subscribe (however it's no longer cheap).

> I can't figure
> out why the DVD version is so much dearer. Are DVDs really a quid dearer than
> CD-Rs?

No - a couple of years ago they were cheaper, though
this is no longer the case. The price justification
is to pay for the work in assembling the extra content.
This seems quite reasonable, and Future do give you a
choice between a DVD and a CD version.

>  The (GPL) software isn't expensive, is it?

No, but time *always* is :^)

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, LinuxUser & Developer

T: +44 (0)1625 855084, F: +44 (0)1625 855071
richard.smedley at linuxuser.co.uk

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
The GNU/Linux magazine for IT decision makers

   ``And lawyers haven't been this popular
     Since Robespierre slaughtered half of France''
                                     -- Joni Mitchell

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster at livepublishing.co.uk immediately via reply email. Any personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or use.