[SC.LUG] Unix Network configuration help please!

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Sun Oct 12 19:42:51 BST 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Neil Lucock wrote:

> Hi,
> The light on the ethernet port doesn't light up when the
> machine is running,

which seems to indicate that you dont have a connection at the network
layer, so you are unlikely to get higher layer traffic to flow.

You probably either have a faulty cable, or the network port configured
incorrectly, or a faulty ethernet card - or the light isnt meant to
light up ... (which is v. unusual ).

> (I've tried changing it to another number). If so, what should I change it
> to? HP's documents just say "get the info from your system administrator".
> I've set the card's broadcast address to 255.255.255.255 manually, I've told
> the system to use DHCP.

DHCP should set the ip address itself, by getting one from the DHCP
server, you donty need to set it manually if you are using DHCP.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.