[SC.LUG] gentoo linux

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Tue Oct 14 16:11:00 BST 2003

Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Silly question (I'm a non-techie, remember) - can I run a dual or
> tri-boot machine (I have plenty of HD capacity) with different OSs?
> I'm in the 'dabbling' stage when I've not yet decided which version
> to go for, and a lot of my stuff is still on Windows. (not for long,
> mind!).

Yes you can tri boot, but it can be tricky to get everything booting.

> Red Hat a bit and I'm looking for something that suits us brain-dead
> non-technical people and pretty much explains itself.

To get the most out of Linux you do have to be prepared to get at least a
little command line dirty. That's partly why I like gentoo so much, building
the system from the groud up gives you a good grounding in where everything
is.

Unlike something like Mandrake that will force you to start manually
configuring things because the bundled utilities simply don't always do what
they say on the tin.

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key