[SC.LUG] Internet PARANOIA - Was Modem troub

Richard Pineger sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 20:12:00 2003

Hi Ian,

you were correct but the method was lacking ;-) thanks for your help.

I'm using Kppp to configure my Internet connection. For some reason, when I
originally set up my service provider for user 'richard', on the DNS tab,
'Automatic' wasn't selected. When I did it for 'root' automatic DNS was
selected. Hence, root worked, Richard didn't (nothing new there :-).

Now I happily have both working.

The next question is: How do I keep my machine secure against attack? Are
there any basic settings that I should do immediately? I'm ever so paranoid
using the Internet at the moment given the recent spate of virii. Am I ok
just to use it. I know that, in some configuration file somewhere I have the
setting PARANOID but I'm blowed if I can find it again. I think it should be
changed to ALL. Does that mean anything to you?

Rich