[SC.LUG] Internet PARANOIA - Was Modem troub

Ewan Leith sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 23:40:01 2003

I don't remember which distribution you said you used, both Redhat and
Suse come with sensible firewall configurations which they ask you about
during the install, I imagine Mandrake does something similar.

The easy way to check if they're working is to connect to http://grc.com
and follow the shields up link, ignore the hyperbole, but essentially
all the ports should come back "Stealth" if you are already using a
firewall. I'd recommend the www.symantec.com security check instead, but
it doesn't seem to be working with mozilla at the moment.

Ewan