[SC.LUG] Re: Knoppix (was Infopoints)

Dr A V Le Blanc LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 07:52:09 BST 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:15:19PM +0100, sc-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 at 09:06:46 +0100, Richard Smedley
 <richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> One point: you mention distributing Knoppix on your
> site. iirc Knoppix currently contains non-free software - perhaps
> we could look at the next release of Morphix, which should be OK.

I don't know of any non-free software in Knoppix, and even the
Morphix people don't seem to claim that there is any.  The Knoppix
FAQ explains that, in order to be acceptable for Knoppix,

     all licenses must guarantee that the CD can be downloaded,
     modified and copied free of charge.  Licences that don't
     allow incorporation into such a CD can't be accepted by
     us....  That also applies to licenses that would force the
     recipients to sign another agreement before download, or...
     pay royalty fees, and licenses that do not allow the CD to
     be distributed commercially....  Almost all programs on the
     CD fall under the GPL or similar Open Source licenses.

Also you can see that all the software Knopper and his project have
written is placed under the GPL.  There are 'expanded' or adapted
versions of Knoppix, but I think they are usually quite careful
with the base distribution.  What non-free software have you heard
of in Knoppix?  I think Klaus would think very seriously of
removing it if you suggest this to him.  He is a passionate advocate
of free software, and you will notice his careful use of the term
'GNU/Linux'.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk