[SC.LUG] Farewell

Mark Walker markwalker at connectfree.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 23:42:49 BST 2004

Maybe this will be the last post.

Neil, If you are not going to put Linux on the ibook then you can get
right clicking by holding the control key and clicking the mouse, which
is a bit awkward.  Alternatively use a Mac compatible 3 button scroll
mouse - I have a logitech one which cost £9.99 and it works fine.  If
it is a new ibook it should have Panther (Mac OSX 10.3) and iPhoto.  To
preview an individual graphic in FInder go to View Column ([Apple Key]
3).  The 2nd or 3rd column will then show a preview.  To get a review
of all graphics go to View View Options and click Show Icon Preview.
Alternatively, load Mandrake PPC Linux 9 (isos available for free
download) onto the ibook or Darwin (Apple's open source spin on BSD 4)
and the KDE port for that.  I have Mandrake and KDE running on my
seldom switched on Bondi iMac.  Currently there is no KDE port for
MacOSX.

PS, I always preferred Icewm to KDE bloat (maybe that is why I changed
so readily to MacOSX) I disliked KDE because of the initial loading
time and the time drag when Konquereor previewed a folder of several
hundred pix.  This was not just a prob on the 128mb memory iMac, but
also on my old 750Mb memory Athlon.

Sorry if this seems like a proprietary troll.  Maybe one day my
curiosity will get the better of me and I will want to see how fast
GNU/Linux KDE would run on a 1Ghz Emac (my guess about 2.5-3 times the
speed of my old Athlon 750Mhz) on the basis of the difference in iTune
ripping times (Athlon 3.75x; eMac 9.0x).  That is if it will work at
all, Apple claim that the eMac won't natively run anything other than
OSX.

Best wishes for the continuing Linux revolution, I'm still cheering
from the sidelines.

Mark Walker