[SC.LUG] Re: MySQL frustration -solved

EvilOverlord eviloverlord at imux.net
Sat Aug 14 20:52:19 BST 2004

Simeon Farrington wrote:
> OK - donk. Solved. I'd thought I'd solved the issue of windows mangling
> record endings, but in a last ditch attempt, I downloaded nano and ran
> the datafile through that. Bingo. Data appeared as expected :)
>
> Apologies for those who have been looking through my ramblings trying to
> work out what I was doing - moral of the story is that windows isn't
> very good.................................!

The problem is the difference between windows and unix ASCII line
terminators, windows uses CR+LF, unix simply uses LF.  Thus opening a
windows generated text file in unix and you'll see ^M at the end of
every line.

That is unless you use an editor that can convert them, like pico (or
its clone, nano).  Or you can use the tool "dos2unix" (or "unix2dos").

I would recommend you install phpMyAdmin and interface with your mySQL
server through that, it is far quicker and easier.

Stephen
--
http://imux.net/
http://liveice.sourceforge.net/