[SC.LUG] MySQL frustration

Simeon Farrington swfarrington at beeb.net
Sun Aug 15 19:43:08 BST 2004

Hi folks

Thanks for the responses - very useful and just a bit annoying that I
kept solving things immediately after sending emails! (Maybe I should
have started that way, it might have saved time :p) )

> From: EvilOverlord <eviloverlord at imux.net>
>
> The problem is the difference between windows and unix ASCII line
> terminators, windows uses CR+LF, unix simply uses LF.  Thus opening a
> windows generated text file in unix and you'll see ^M at the end of
> every line.
>
> That is unless you use an editor that can convert them, like pico (or
> its clone, nano).  Or you can use the tool "dos2unix" (or "unix2dos").

Yep, that's what it was and it was nano that solved it. What was weird
was that I didn't see any ^Ms or anything - just instead when I resaved
the file with no amendments in nano, it said something about saving in
unix format or something, so it corrected the file - then it loaded
directly. It was more annoying because I thought this would be the case
but couldn't get anything to display what was *really* there.

Now the difficultly is getting my file installed on Plus.Net's mySQL as
they seem to be being a bit retentive over the issue :o

> I would recommend you install phpMyAdmin and interface with your mySQL
> server through that, it is far quicker and easier.

I'll bear that in mind!

> From: "nev" <nev at digital-thought.net>
> http://www.hotscripts.com/Tools_and_Utilities/Database_Tools/ is another good

Excellent, will have a delve and see what I can find :)

Simeon