[SC.LUG] expanding lug?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Feb 3 17:28:01 GMT 2004

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:09:04 +0000
Richard Smedley <richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I think Ian meant digital /recording/ - knowing of course
> that I strongly disagree =^)

> As for bandwidth, Ian must be joking, CDs destroy the
> high treble - and where is the ``air'' around the strings?
> All the subtleties of  a room's acoustic can be  lost by CD.

This as opposed to the -160dB roll off records exhibit above 8kHz ;-)

I prefer the air to remain around my strings - that way I can hear them.
Perhaps if your recordings are made in a vacuum thats yer problem ;-)

Anyhow, theres a simple test (which I, sadly, dont have the equipment to
administer) which is to record a CD from a record, and then perform a
listening test with the source switched randomly between CD and record.
I *bet* you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

The unfortnate part is that the record will deteriorate each time its
played so it will never sound the same twice, thus destroying the test.

still, if the test could be set up I'd give you 100ukp if you could
actually discern which recording was which reliably.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.