[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Jan 29 22:11:33 GMT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:30:48 -0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> Ian Molton wrote:
> > Some people would argue a snappy desktop is more important than raw
> > power. In an office, I'd rather be using a DTP program that loads in
> > less time than it takes to let go of the mouse button than open
> > office, which takes about 5 days to open on equivalent hardware.
>
> I don't care if an app loads instantly, I do care about its
> performance while I am using it

Also superb.

> (and the performance of all the other apps I am running
> in the background).

Even under RISC OSes CMT this is a non-issue.

> For what its worth, open office starts in seconds for me.

I hate apps that take seconds to load. It drives me batty (but I've been
used to instant from the days of my Archimedes and upward, so perhaps Im
spoilt.)

> > Funny. My CPU is supposed to run at 1.53GHz. as its damaged it maxes
> > out at 900MHz but I have to say I honestly cant tell the difference
> > but for one task (compiling software, and even then its not much
> > slower).
>
> Try 3D rendering as a hobby :)

Why are you using an X86 then? both PPC and Alpha are far faster. (dont
argue bang per buck here as that wont improve your rendering times).

> > Its not mass produced is it? ergo, price comparison meaningless.
>
> Mass production tends to reduce prices. The iyonix is mass produced so
> it has the cost advantage.

The Iyonix is NOT mass produced - well, certainly not on the level of
the X86 market - I doubt theres more than 2000 in the world. If it was a
car it'd be an 'executive limited edition' and sell for three quaters of
a million...

> The system has been tested at pressures well above those it
> experiences in normal use

Tell that to anyone who has had to work with hydraulics...

> and all the component parts have been sourced based on their
> quality & reliability. This isn't some $100 setup.

OOI, how much have you wasted on this cooling system? (heatpipes are way
simpler, safer, and less messy - and quieter).

> > increasing the weight a LOT,
>
> Its a PC, it lives under my desk. I have a laptop & PDA for those
> mobile moments.

Heh. yeah. My PC stays at home too, but I just love its
ultra-lightweight case (shuttle XPC)  - makes fiddling with it much less
work.

> > using a pump (and if it fails you're gonna be in trouble) and you
>
> If the pump fails the bios will pull the plug and stop the whole
> system before I have a real problem.

You've tested that then?

> Can switch back to air cooled in a matter of
> minutes and have a replacement pump within 24 hours.

so, actual downtime then...

> > STILL havent beaten the iyonix on noise reduction (and you're
> > wasting even more energy running AND cooling it).
>
> Well, I do have a couple of hundred watts of heat to get rid of. The
> loudest part is the teeny fan of the geforce card and the HD's

The iyonix is so quiet you (genuinely) cant tell its on.

once, when its monitor got disconnected, I actually switched it off by
mistake, thinking it was already off because I couldnt hear it.

> Besides, that's why I am using a large custom built radiator with 2
> fans, they wont both fail at the same time.

more expense to cover poor design...

> > that's, some cheap-o noname CRAP hardware from bongo-bongo land isnt
> > supported, but most stuff is (except a few small things) and I
> > certainly havent had problems finding hardware to do the job.
>
> Oh lucky lucky you. I have DLink networking gear that's never going to
> be fully supported (the open drivers are only just usable now)

Dont the closed ones work? (what is it, are you an early 802.11g
adopter?)

>, a Cannon scanner that never going to work,

Yeah, canon stuff is a bit shit that way. But then their printers are
shite too, so I guess everyones using the better alternatives...

> Linux running iPaq that's a bitch to network,

Funny, my e740 is easy to network wirelessly, and I only have linux
partially running on it...

> Mitac laptop with an odd-bod sis chipset that I have problems with
> on windows, let alone Linux

Fair to say that its a shit laptop, then - not linux fault...

>  - I did have a lot of other gear that simply didn't work as expected
>  that I have ended up moving on.

I suppose you learnt to research your purchases first then?

Of course, I've had as many bad experiences with windows gear, and I
dont even HAVE the option of hacking the driver to make it work there...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.