[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Thu Jan 29 17:30:53 GMT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> Some people would argue a snappy desktop is more important than raw
> power. In an office, I'd rather be using a DTP program that loads in
> less time than it takes to let go of the mouse button than open
> office, which takes about 5 days to open on equivalent hardware.

I don't care if an app loads instantly, I do care about its performance
while I am using it (and the performance of all the other apps I am running
in the background).

For what its worth, open office starts in seconds for me.

>>> Sure, for numbercrunching its slower but I havent seen it struggle
>>> at any (normal) task really.
>>
>> I like the flexability your get when you have some kick in reserve.
>
> Funny. My CPU is supposed to run at 1.53GHz. as its damaged it maxes
> out at 900MHz but I have to say I honestly cant tell the difference
> but for one task (compiling software, and even then its not much
> slower).

Try 3D rendering as a hobby :)

>> Good example, my desktop is currently a Dual Athlon 2200 with 1 GB of
>> ram(with some hardware from my previous PC) cost me about the same as
>> an Iyonix base unit would. So you see my point, bang for buck its
>> laughable.
>
> Its not mass produced is it? ergo, price comparison meaningless.

Mass production tends to reduce prices. The iyonix is mass produced so it
has the cost advantage.

> So to achieve your goal, you are increasing the change of a
> catastrophic failure by adding water,

The system has been tested at pressures well above those it experiences in
normal use and all the component parts have been sourced based on their
quality & reliability. This isn't some $100 setup.

> increasing the weight a LOT,

Its a PC, it lives under my desk. I have a laptop & PDA for those mobile
moments.

> using a pump (and if it fails you're gonna be in trouble) and you

If the pump fails the bios will pull the plug and stop the whole system
before I have a real problem. Can switch back to air cooled in a matter of
minutes and have a replacement pump within 24 hours.

> STILL havent beaten the iyonix on noise reduction (and you're wasting
> even more energy running AND cooling it).

Well, I do have a couple of hundred watts of heat to get rid of. The loudest
part is the teeny fan of the geforce card and the HD's

> Oh yeah, and if those 12cm fans are 12V rated, you are seriously
> increasing their fail-to-start probablility by using 5V on them -
> especially after they build up some dust, which they, invariably,
> will.

Hasn't happened yet and they have been in for over a year. Even if they fail
to start / suddenly die there is sufficient passive cooling capacity to keep
both CPU's at a safe temp for over 6 hours at full load, when it goes over
the bios saves the day again.

Besides, that's why I am using a large custom built radiator with 2 fans,
they wont both fail at the same time.

> that's, some cheap-o noname CRAP hardware from bongo-bongo land isnt
> supported, but most stuff is (except a few small things) and I
> certainly havent had problems finding hardware to do the job.

Oh lucky lucky you. I have DLink networking gear that's never going to be
fully supported (the open drivers are only just usable now), a Cannon
scanner that never going to work, Linux running iPaq that's a bitch to
network, Mitac laptop with an odd-bod sis chipset that I have problems with
on windows, let alone Linux  - I did have a lot of other gear that simply
didn't work as expected that I have ended up moving on.

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com