[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Jan 29 23:57:39 GMT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:31:27 +0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 22:11, Ian Molton wrote:
> > > Try 3D rendering as a hobby :)
> >
> > Why are you using an X86 then? both PPC and Alpha are far faster. (dont
> > argue bang per buck here as that wont improve your rendering times).
>
> Because I use the same box to play planetside (www.planetside.com)

So, not a *serious* hobby then...

> > > and all the component parts have been sourced based on their
> > > quality & reliability. This isn't some $100 setup.
> >
> > OOI, how much have you wasted on this cooling system? (heatpipes are way
> > simpler, safer, and less messy - and quieter).
>
> And currently very expensive, there is only 1 full case heat pipe system
> (from zalman) and it costs more than an iyonix :P

I have a heatpipe cooling my CPU - it comes free in the Shuttle XPC - the case, heatpipe, PSU, and motherboard come as a set and  cost 130UKP the lot.

Ok, its not 'whole case' but theres so much airflow that I have had my Radeon 9000 pro running passively cooled and FLAWLESS for about 9 mos now.

> Yup, unplug the pump and wait, takes a few minutes for one of the CPU's
> to hit 80degrees C

I consider Athlons that hit 80deg C to be destroyed. I've never had one get that hot and work reliably for more than a year afterwards.

> > so, actual downtime then...
>
> say 30 mins while i route out some heatsinks, remove the water blocks
> and faff around with thermal paste.

when you could be playing planetside. tut ;-)

> > once, when its monitor got disconnected, I actually switched it off by
> > mistake, thinking it was already off because I couldnt hear it.
>
> I never turn my gear off, every hardware failure I have ever had has
> happened upon pressing the power switch in the morning.

Relevance?

> I went for most kick for my budget, it goes with the territory that
> athlon cpus run hot.

what was wrong with athlon64 ?

> It is wifi gear but only 802.11b - damn things have a texas dsp inside
> and texas arn't talking. when I bought the cards  DLink were saying
> "Linux drivers coming soon" (I wasn't going to use them on a Linux box,
> so soon suited me fine), they now say "Don't hold onto these devices in
> anticipation of Linux drivers"

Sounds like you should return them quoting the sale of goods act.

> > Yeah, canon stuff is a bit shit that way. But then their printers are
> > shite too, so I guess everyones using the better alternatives...
>
> Shite printers, excellent scanners.

no better scanners than anyone else nowadays.

> > Funny, my e740 is easy to network wirelessly, and I only have linux
> > partially running on it...
>
> My ipaq (running familiar) locks rock solid as soon as i connect it to
> the usb port of a linux PC, if I am quick and can enable the connection
> in time it might unfreeze.

Weird. is it PXA based or SA? Im using essentially the same driver if its PXA based and its solid as a rock here.

> > Fair to say that its a shit laptop, then - not linux fault...
>
> Its not actually, damn well made with a gorgeous 15 in screen. It was a
> trade in for a laptop I had bought but had problems with, the screen was
> much better (and everything else similar) I couldn't resist.

Yet it fails to work on any OS you use on it. Very useful :-)

> And most important, the definition of working under linux and windows
> often mean 2 very different things.

Yeah - under linux it works FAST...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.